1. A week ago today my mentor passed away unexpectedly and very suddenly. The next few months are going to be hard. Who am I kidding? This is tough. Period. And it will never be quite right without him. He was a trusted friend, an advisor, and a support for me both personally and academically. I feel somewhat abandoned and lost right now. Sometimes I feel like he was the only person who really believed in me, more than myself even.
2. I feel like I’m slowly getting back to work since all that has happened last week. It’s not the same. But I go through the motions and sometimes I feel normal.
3. Life is precious. Live every moment. Don’t look down at your phone all of the time and be in another world, be in the moment, always.
4. Listen and learn from those around you. Especially the people you are close to. They have many, many important words of wisdom to share.
5. Try and think and DO with abandon. Never let someone tell you that you aren’t enough. You are.
6. Be patient. Don’t be in such a hurry. Everything will come in time and never a moment too late.
7. Laugh. Tell jokes, even if they seem silly. It’s good for the heart and soul.
8. Never start a meeting in too much of a business-like manner. Give the other person time to settle in, ask them about their day, ask them about their hobbies. Break the ice, then get down to business. There’s time enough for that, and it makes any meeting more comfortable.
9. Put stuff back where you got it from. No one will ever be able to use something if it’s not put back in its rightful place.
10. Know who to talk to when you need something. Know who holds the key to getting what you want and most importantly, know how to ask. It will get you far in this life.
11. Questions are not meant as an attack. Questions are usually merely asked in order to gain more information. Novel idea, right?
12. Don’t go too fast. Maintain a pace you’re comfortable with and that you can do until you’re 80 years old.
13. Respect the past. Acknowledge it and learn from it. And never forget what those who came before have done and what they have contributed to this world.
I hope I live up to all that you believed I could be.